The National Selector, Sergio Scariolohas announced this Wednesday the list of 16 players called up to play in Iceland (Thursday 23) and Cáceres (Sunday 26) the last two qualifying matches for the 2023 World Cup, a tournament for which Spain is already classified.
The summoned players are:
- Francis Alonso (Surne Bilbao Basket), 4 internationals
- Jonathan Barreiro (Unicaja), 10 internationals
- Ferran Bassas (Gran Canaria), 9 caps
- Pep Busquets (Joventut Badalona), 1 internationality
- Michael Caicedo (Coviran Granada)
- Alberto Diaz (Unicaja), 23 caps
- Sergio García (Río Breogán), 6 internationals
- Fran Guerra (Lenovo Tenerife), 12 internationals
- Ruben Guerrero (Monbus Workshop), 8 internationalities
- Juan Nunez (Ratipharm Ulm, Germany), 5 caps
- Joel Parra (Joventut Badalona), 24 internationals
- Tyson Perez (Real Betis Baloncesto), 2 caps
- miquel saved (Gran Canaria), 5 caps
- James Sorolla (Basketball Girona)
- Edgar Vicedo (Monbus Workshop), 7 internationalities
- Eric Villa (Basketball Girona), 1 internationality
Next Monday the 20th, the National Team will focus on Alicante, where they will begin to prepare for the last Qualifying Window for the 2023 World Cup. A day later, the expedition will head to Reikiviak, where they will face Iceland on Thursday the 23rd at 8:00 p.m. :45 hours. The next day, they will travel back to Cáceres, where they will face Italy on Sunday 26 at 6:00 p.m. in the Multipurpose Pavilion in the city of Extremadura. This meeting is sponsored by the Extremadura joint, through FEDER funds. Both matches can be seen live on Teledeporte.
It will be the first time that #LaFamilia faces a concentration as number 1 in the FIBA World Ranking. Among the novelties, the debuts of Michael Caicedo and Jaume Sorolla stand out in a list that has the presence of two European champions this past summer in Berlin: Joel Parra (captain) and Alberto Díaz.
By virtue of the agreement reached between the FEB and Virtus Pallacanestro Bologna, Sergio Scariolo will be able to reconcile his positions as National Selector and coach of the Italian team, as he already did in the November Window. Scariolo will direct the training sessions of the National Team in Alicante and Cáceres, as well as the match against Italy in Cáceres. During the national team’s stay in Iceland, the coach will remain in constant contact with his coaching staff to monitor and direct the work of the team, which will be led by Luis Guil and made up of Joaquín Prado, Jorge Lorenzo, Víctor García and Manuel Aller.
In addition to the Coach, José Ignacio Hernández (FEB Sports Director) and Carlos Jiménez (Team Manager), the coaching staff is made up of:
“A list that has new features, but also includes players who have already defended the Spain shirt with great efficiency in previous games. We also have some European Champion and, above all, we have a great commitment and a fantastic desire to meet again and write new pages that our fans are proud of”.
“Although qualifying for the World Cup is already assured, we want to keep competing and we want to keep playing good games and possibly win.”