Updated on 01/12/2022 18:21
- Jessy Wellmer reported several times for ARD alongside Bastian Schweinsteiger from important football games.
- But as soon as she is no longer standing right next to the expert, her memory of the name lets her down.
- Schweinsteiger but skilfully picks up the bad pass.
Out of sight, out of mind, you might think: ARD presenter
Wellmer, who is still constantly at Schweinsteiger’s side as part of the reporting on the EM 2021, moderates during the tournament in Train from a studio in Mainz. And only because her colleague Alexander Bommes was absent at short notice due to illness.
Wellmer regularly has Almuth Schult, Thomas Hitzlsperger and Sami Khedira as experts at her side in the late shifts. So also before 5 p.m. game between record world champions Brazil and Switzerland.
When Wellmer handed it over to her colleague
Wellmer: “Oh, God, I said Sebastian”
But she soon realized her mistake. “Oh god, I said Sebastian.” But he relaxed and laughed at the situation: “Sebastian? Well, you can call me whatever you want.”
Also read: Current reports on the 2022 World Cup can be found in our live ticker
Sedlaczek intervened. “If anyone can call you Sebastian, it’s Jessy Wellmer, right?” Schweinsteiger picked up the ball and Wellmer was out of the line of fire: “Of course.”
Wellmer: “You can now also call me Jenny or Peggy”
When we then returned from Qatar to the studio in Mainz, Wellmer offered a kind of revenge with a wink: “You can now call me Jenny or Peggy, that’s fine too.” When presenting the next switch to Qatar for the Sedlaczek/Schweinsteiger duo, Wellmer emphasized that he was giving up on “Bastian Schweinsteiger”. Various media picked up the dialogue and reported about it.
Wellmer and Schweinsteiger had been heavily criticized by the spectators for a lack of harmony and looseness during the 2021 European Championship.
- merkur.de: “Can call me Peggy now”: Jessy Wellmer makes an embarrassing faux pas with Bastian Schweinsteiger
- watson.de: World Cup 2022: ARD presenter jokes about her own mistakes – Schweinsteiger quick-witted
The TV teams from moderation, commentary and analysis grow with every tournament. We show who accompanies the World Cup games for ARD, ZDF and Telekom.