New York For the first time since his suspension, the controversial Kyrie Irving has publicly apologized in an interview. The basketball star had previously been suspended by his club for five games.
For the first time since his suspension, controversial basketball star Kyrie Irving of the Brooklyn Nets has publicly apologized in an interview. “I’m not an anti-Semite. I never was,” Irving said in an interview with New York regional sports network SNY on Saturday (local time), “I have no hatred in my heart for the Jewish people or anyone who identifies as a Jew.” He wanted to “deeply apologize” for his social media post about a book and a film with anti-Semitic ideas.
The 30-year-old Irving had shared a link via Twitter to “Hebrews to Negroes: Wake Up Black America”, which was criticized as anti-Semitic and which the US media also classified as racist and misogynist, homophobic and Islamophobic. As a result, Irving initially avoided a direct apology and was then suspended by the Nets for at least five games.
“I sincerely apologize for all my actions in the time that has passed since my post was first published,” Irving said, “I’ve had a lot of time to think. I really want to focus on the pain I’ve caused.”
Irving has now missed eight games. The Nets have made the seven-time All-Star available again for Sunday’s game against the Memphis Grizzlies. Irving’s return had come with a number of conditions attached.