Haller under the knife again for testicular cancer
Dortmund striker Sébastien Haller, who is suffering from testicular cancer, has to undergo a second operation. “It is necessary to finally remove this tumor that keeps me off the field,” the Ivorian international announced on social media on Wednesday. “The battle is not over yet,” said 28-year-old Haller.
Borussia Dortmund responded on Twitter. “We wish you the best of luck, Seb! Stay strong!” Haller, who came over from Ajax this summer, was diagnosed with a testicular tumor during the preparation. Sebastian Kehl, sporting director at Dortmund, has recently said that there was no concrete plan yet for the attacker’s comeback. “We can’t give a firm date yet,” said Kehl.
Haller completed a training session at the site of his former club Ajax at the end of October, fueling speculation about a possible comeback. He had previously said in an interview with UEFA that if he didn’t need another surgery, his rehabilitation could go quite quickly. Now Haller will have to go under the knife again.
Anderlecht comes with sanctions after fireworks incidents against KRC Genk
RSC Anderlecht is taking measures after fireworks were fired from the stands again last weekend in the league match at home against leader KRC Genk (0-2).
Last Sunday, one of the Anderlecht supporters’ groups celebrated their tenth anniversary. The club gave permission for a number of tifos to be unfurled in stand 2 at the start of the match. “However, clear agreements were later violated when fireworks were fired in the first half,” it reads today in a statement from RSCA. “The match had to be interrupted and then resumed. In the meantime, the club entered into talks with the supporters group in question.”
Anderlecht reports that three sanctions will follow. The club will first take civil action against persons identified as involved in the incident. In addition, tifos, flags and megaphones will no longer be allowed in sections S1-S2 for the remainder of the season. Finally, the supporters club is denied access to the stadium for the next home game.
“RSC Anderlecht would like to remind everyone that, in accordance with the football law, fireworks and other pyrotechnic material are prohibited in Belgian football stadiums. The incidents of the past few weeks have led to sanctions that severely affect the club financially and operationally. In the event of further irregularities, action will be taken again.”
LOOK. Supporters Anderlecht light flares during match
AA Gent captures Salah and Hanche-Olsen until 2024
On the long list of end of contract players at AA Gent, two may be deleted. Earlier this season, the club had quietly announced the option in the contract of Andreas Hanche-Olsen (25). The option in the agreement of revelation Ibrahim Salah (21) will also be activated soon. Both players are then fixed until 2024. (ABD)
Genk longer with Luca Oyen
Racing Genk has broken Luca Oyen’s contract until 2027. The old commitment of the 19-year-old midfielder still ran until the summer of 2024. Oyen, son of ex-Anderlecht player Davy Oyen, was an intended basic player at Genk this season, but on on the opening match day against Club Brugge he tore his cruciate ligament. “While Luca continues to rehabilitate, the club therefore once again expresses confidence in the young Genkie,” RC Genk said on the club website. Despite his young age, Oyen was already 53 times in the A-team of the Limburgers. He scored twice. (BFA)
Heavy fine and conditional match behind partly closed doors
The federal public prosecutor’s office wants to punish Ghent for the incidents before, during and after the match against Club Brugge. For the use and throwing of pyrotechnic material, there is a proposal of a fine of 10,000 euros + 1 official match with partially closed doors. The latter is a punishment with a postponement of 1 year and applies to section 225 in Tribune 2. The public prosecutor is demanding a fine of 5,000 euros for the banner addressed to Roman Yaremchuk and for other misconduct in and around the stadium.
AA Gent has previously indicated that it wants to recover these fines from the perpetrators. The club has also worked with the police to identify perpetrators. Proceedings are being initiated against several people following the recent incidents. In addition to these repressive measures, AA Gent also wants to continue to engage in dialogue. On Monday, the club already spoke with the Supporters Council and later consultation with a delegation of the ultras.
Union may “bid” on Bemptsite for stadium
Union may make an offer from the municipality of Vorst to purchase the land of the Bempt site, writes the Brussels magazine Bruzz. Union hopes to build a new stadium on that spot. Vorst did not just take the plunge and asked Union for more information about the financing, accessibility of the stadium and impact studies on mobility and the environment. Vorst’s written request to make a financial offer seems to be a step in the right direction to unblock the file. “Ideally, this takes the form of a leasehold contract,” says Caroline Corbiau, spokeswoman for the mayor of Vorst, to Bruzz. (BF)
Bondsparket asks for a five-game suspension for Janssen
Vincent Janssen knows his additional penalty for the blow he dealt to Beveren defender Vukotic last week in the Croky Cup. The Bondsparket wants to put aside the Dutch striker from Antwerp for five games, three of which are effective and two are postponed. Janssen would also have to pay a fine of 4,000 euros. He owes this proposed punishment in part to statements made to referee Wesli De Cremer after the match. “Well, good try. You didn’t succeed!”, cried Janssen according to the referee’s report. Antwerp and the player can still appeal.
LOOK. Janssen was sent off against Beveren after a hit against Vukotic
Free unlimited access to Showbytes? Which can!
Log in or create an account and don’t miss a thing of the stars.