• Ukrainians, after a self-motivated and nervous first set, in the end of which they failed to use the set ball and Puerto Rico scored the decisive three points, confidently took the initiative of the fight, safely winning the next three sets.
• Team captain Olehs Plotnickis and Ilya Kovalevs scored 19 points each for the winners.
• The Ukrainian national team, playing in the final tournament of the world championships for the second time, won the tenth place in the 1998 competition in Japan.
• In the round of 16, the Ukrainians will compete against the Dutch national team, which won Group F. which defeated the tenacious Iranian national team 3-1 (25:22, 21:25, 25:20, 25:18) in the last game of the main tournament. Dutch captain Nimir Abdelaziz had a very productive fight, scoring 32 points.
• A relatively intense duel also took place in another battle of Group F, with Argentina fighting back and breaking the resistance of the Egyptians with 3-2 (27:25, 26:28, 24:26, 25:17, 15:6). Leader Bruno Lima scored 23 points for the Argentines, who attacked more aggressively, but also made more mistakes, while Augustin Loser collected 19 points.
• Not only the winners of the first two places of all six groups, but also the four best third-place national teams entered the round of 16 of the final tournament held in Poland and Slovenia.
• Round of 16 and quarter-finals matches will take place in the Polish city of Gliwice and the Slovenian capital of Ljubljana, while the semi-finals and medal matches are scheduled for September 10 and 11 in the Polish city of Katowice.
World Championship in Volleyball, August 31
|Gr.||The game||The result|
|A||Serbia – Tunisia||3-0 (27; 15; 17)|
|Ukraine – Puerto Rico||3-1 (24:26; 25:19; 25:16; 25:19)|
|E||Canada – Turkey||0-3 (23; 23; 17)|
|Italy – China||3-0 (14; 10; 14)|
|F||Argentina – Egypt||3-2 (27:25; 26:28; 24:26; 25:17; 15:6)|
|Iran – Netherlands||1-3 (22:25; 25:21; 20:25; 18:25)|
Overall ranking of the main tournament
|A group||U-Z||Seti||P||B group||U-Z||Seti||P||C group||U-Z||Seti||P|
|1. Serbia||3-0||9:0||9||1. Brazil||3-0||9:2||8||1. Poland||3-0||9:1||9|
|2. Ukraine||2-1||6:4||6||2. Japan||2-1||6:4||6||2. ASV||2-1||7:3||6|
|3. Tunisia||1-2||3:6||3||3. Because||1-2||6:7||4||3. Mexico||1-2||3:8||2|
|4. Puerto Rico||0-3||1:9||0||4. Katara||0-3||1:9||0||4. Bulgaria||0-3||2:9||1|
|D group||U-Z||Seti||P||E group||U-Z||Seti||P||F group||U-Z||Seti||P|
|1. In France||3-0||9:2||8||1. Italy||3-0||9:0||9||1. The Netherlands||3-0||7:5||5|
|2. Slovenia||2-1||8:3||7||2. Turkey||2-1||6:3||6||2. Iran||2-1||7:6||5|
|3. Germany||1-3||3:6||3||3. Canada||1-2||3:6||3||3. Argentina||1-2||7:8||4|
|4. Cameroon||0-3||0:9||0||4. China||0-3||0:9||0||4. Egypt||0-3||3:9||1|
Round of 16
|The game||The date|
|Poland – Tunisia||04.09.|
|USA – Turkey||04.09.|
|Serbia – Argentina||06.09.|
|Brazil – Iran||06.09.|
|Slovenia – Germany||03.09.|
|Netherlands – Ukraine||03.09.|
|Italy – Cuba||05.09.|
|France – Japan||05.09.|