The French newspaper, which has a lot of influence when putting together the list of 30 finalists, showed the criteria that were used.
the prestigious magazine France Football announced this Friday the nominees for the Ballon d’Or 2022 and the big surprise was that Lionel Messi will not integrate the list of 30 footballers, like Neymar Junior. It is the first time that the Argentine striker has been left off the payroll since 2005, and The French newspaper L’Equipe, which was very harsh on Leo several times, explained why he was left off the payroll.
Lionel Messiwho already won 7 Ballon d’Or throughout his career (four consecutively between 2009 and 2012)will not be at the delivery ceremony that will take place on October 17 at the Châtelet Theater in Pariswhere the male, female, Kopa Trophy and Yashin categories will participate. The Argentine star will not be part of the list of 30 footballers, something that has not happened since 2005.
The newspaper L’Equipe de Francewhich has been very hard with Leo During the last season, he explained why the Argentine does not make the list of 30. According to the French media, The main reason is the modification of the calendar: Until the last edition, the Golden Ball delivered on a calendar year basis (January December)but from the 2022 edition it will be seasonal (August-June).
In addition, from this year, the collective performance of the club It became the number two criterion to put together the list of 30 soccer players, and the race was no longer taken into account. Without Messieverything seems to indicate that the French Karim Benzema will be the one who wins the award, after his spectacular season with the Real Madrid in which he won Champions League, the Spanish Super Cup, the European Super Cup and the Spanish La Liga.
Why Lionel Messi was not nominated for the 2022 Ballon d’Or, according to L’Equipe
“The Ballon d’Or is an individual award. Criterion number 1 will focus primarily on individual performance and the resolute and impressive character of the contenders. Since football remains a collective sport despite everything. Criterion number 2 will focus on the collective performance and the record accumulated during the season. Finally, Criterion number 3 will refer to the player’s class and his sense of fair play. Because setting an example also counts. The most attentive will have noticed the disappearance of the ‘player’s career’ criterion. A way of considering the race for the Ballon d’Or as an open competition, and not as something delimited”they explained from the French media.
Without Lionel Messi, the list of nominees for the Ballon d’Or 2022:
- Thibaut Courtois (Real Madrid)
- Rafael Leao (Milan)
- Christopher Nkunku (RB Leipzig)
- Mohamed Salah (Liverpool)
- Joshua Kimmich (Bayern Munich)
- Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool)
- Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich/Barcelona)
- Vinicius Junior (Real Madrid)
- Luis Diaz (Porto/Liverpool)
- Bernardo Silva (Manchester City)
- Riyad Mahrez (Manchester City)
- Casemiro (Real Madrid)
- Heung-Min Son (Tottenham)
- Fabinho (Liverpool)
- Karim Benzema (Real Madrid)
- Mike Maignan (Milan)
- Harry Kane (Tottenham)
- Darwin Núñez (Liverpool)
- Phil Foden (Manchester City)
- Sadio Mane (Liverpool/Bayern Munich)
- Sebastien Haller (Borussia Dortmund)
- Luka Modric (Real Madrid)
- Antonio Ruediger (Real Madrid)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus/Manchester United)
- Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City)
- Dušan Vlahović (Juventus)
- Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool)
- Joao Cancelo (Manchester City)
- Kylian Mbappe (PSG)
- Erling Haaland (Manchester City)
How Lionel Messi fared in his Ballon d’Or nominations
- 2006: 20th- Winner Fabio Cannavaro
- 2007: 3rd – Winner Kaka
- 2008: 2nd – Winner Cristiano Ronaldo
- 2009: won it
- 2010: won it
- 2011: won it
- 2012: won it
- 2013: 2nd – Winner Cristiano Ronaldo
- 2014: 2nd – Winner Cristiano Ronaldo
- 2015: won it
- 2016: 2nd – Winner Cristiano Ronaldo
- 2017: 2nd – Winner Cristiano Ronaldo
- 2018: 5th – Winner Luka Modric
- 2019: won it
- 2020: not delivered
- 2021: won it
Don’t miss a thing
Receive the latest Ballon d’Or news and more!