archysport

Newsletter

Former NBA player Terrence Williams pleads guilty in fraud case

NEW YORK – Former NBA player Terrence Williams has pleaded guilty to conspiring to commit health care fraud and identity theft in connection with a multimillion-dollar scam against the league’s health plan, authorities said.

Williams, 35, entered his guilty plea in federal court in Manhattan on Friday. He is scheduled to be sentenced in January and faces a maximum of 20 years in prison for the conspiracy charge and a mandatory minimum of two years in prison for the identity theft.

Williams was accused of being the leader of the scheme, which consisted of fraudulent claims and paperwork being submitted to the League’s plan for medical and dental reimbursement.

He and 17 other former players were indicted in October 2021, and authorities said at least $5 million in false claims were submitted to the scheme between 2017 and 2021.

Damian Williams, US Attorney for the Southern District of New York, said Williams directed the scheme and recruited others to be part of it, giving them false documents to submit.

Authorities said Williams received at least $300,000 in bribes from others for his efforts.

In situations where those involved objected, authorities said Williams posed as other people and threatened them to get compliance.

The former player had been free before trial but was taken into custody earlier this year and authorities told a judge he had threatened a witness.

As part of the plea agreement, Williams will pay $2.5 million in restitution to the scheme and turn over more than $650,000 to the federal government.

An email seeking comment was sent to his attorney.

Facebook
Pinterest
Twitter
LinkedIn
Email

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Trending