Eintracht Frankfurt in the Europa League final against Glasgow Rangers

ZAt the end of an exciting evening, Martin Hinteregger was able to play a leading role. When it came to calming the unruly crowds enough to prevent some fans from becoming even more stupid, the Austrian defender, acting for Eintracht, was in the front row as a mediating authority.

It took minutes for the police and security forces to get the scene under control and the hordes that had stormed the pitch to get close to the Frankfurt players and cheer them on for their success retreated. Hinteregger lent a hand with advice and action. Slightly limping, but resolute. He had previously been unable to help his team from the seventh minute of the game. A muscle injury in his thigh forced him to be substituted in tears.

When the sounds of ‘Viva Espana’ had died down, the squad returned to the mostly cleared pitch and began a lap of honor to show support en route to the Europa League final, to be held in Seville, Spain on 18 May. to thank. The Hessians beat West Ham United 1-0 on Thursday evening in a game that wasn’t always top-class, but always intense and exciting.

They had already won the first leg in London the week before, 2-1. All in all, it was a clear affair that was rewarded with thunderous applause. In the final, Eintracht now meets Glasgow Rangers, who beat RB Leipzig 3-1 and thus made up for the 0-1 from the first meeting.

Peter Fischer described the performance in Frankfurt as “incredible”, which ensured that “a dream finally comes true. This city and the surrounding area deserve it. In the final, tradition plays against tradition: world class! Now we want to get that thing, too,” said the Eintracht club president with a hoarse voice. He too had given his all verbally throughout the two halves and five minutes of added time to ensure that support from the stands gave the team an extra boost of motivation. The calculation worked.

“After that we had them under control”

Rafael Borré scored the lead in the 26th minute in the manner of a centre-forward on preparatory work from right winger Ansgar Knauff. Eintracht played into the cards that West Ham only had to make do with ten players from the 17th minute.

Aaron Creswell was sent off for a foul on Jens Petter Hauge; At first, the Spanish referee Jesús Gil Manzano only showed the yellow card, but after the intervention of the video assistant showed the offender red. A reasonable decision, as Cresswell was the last man to knock Hauge off his feet.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.