Bauer violated MLB boss Rob Manfred’s policies on domestic violence and sexual abuse. Bauer denies the allegations and wants to defend himself against the ban before an arbitral tribunal, he said after the announcement of the penalty by the MLB on Friday (local time).
According to US media, Bauer will lose a little over $60 million in salary this season and next if he is unsuccessful in his appeal. The 31-year-old has been on leave since July of last year and has not played for the Dodgers since then.
This was preceded by allegations and a complaint by a woman that he had beaten and abused her during sex against her will. Bauer says everything happened amicably. The authorities in Los Angeles rejected the contact ban sought by the woman on the grounds that there was insufficient evidence.
The public prosecutor’s office also decided three months ago not to press charges. Bauer sued the woman earlier this week for damage to her reputation, among other things.
According to the Washington Post, the woman is not the only one making allegations against Bauer. Two other women are said to have testified during the investigation and made similar allegations.
There has never been a comparable penalty in MLB history because of this rule. According to the US news agency AP, 15 players were disciplined before Bauer. The longest sentence so far was a one-year ban for Sam Dyson in 2021.