The forward who landed in January at the Sestao River from Athletic scored his first goal as a Verdinegro player last Sunday
Sestao River took over the transfer of Iñigo López last winter market to recover from the departure of Aritz Pascual. The striker welcomed his departure from Lezama. «It seemed like a good option to me because I was going to gain experience in a higher category. I needed a new stimulus, a new motivation that could come in handy. I saw that this could make me mature, ”he reveals to EL CORREO. The 19-year-old striker has accumulated just over fifty minutes in four games as a green-and-black, but last Sunday he was able to debut his scoring account in his new team. He now seeks to increase that figure and assures that “I am going to fight to the fullest to make a hole in the eleven”
– His name began to be heard in that season in which he scored eleven goals with Athletic’s Juvenil A where Nico Williams and Nico Serrano also stood out. How did he live that season and how far do you think these two players can go?
I enjoyed and learned a lot. We had a great dressing room and an incredible coach like Imanol de la Sota. You could tell when it came to playing that we were a very happy team, that generated many chances. The only pity was that we couldn’t play the Copa del Rey due to COVID-19. Nico Williams and Nico Serrano are succeeding now with the first team and they were the beasts they are now. There in juveniles they were amazing. They are both from Athletic and they will want to stay here to shine, I think it is the best option.
– Then he makes the jump to Basconia and his goalscoring figures decrease. What do you think is due?
I do not know. I kept working hard to score. All the forwards have streaks in which they do not enter. The jump from juveniles is also very noticeable.
– Did you welcome the fact of leaving Lezama on loan for the Sestao River?
It seemed like a good option to me because I was going to gain experience in a higher category. I needed a new stimulus, a new motivation that could come in handy. I come from playing with people my age and now I have colleagues of all ages. I saw that this could make me mature, learn a lot from them and the atmosphere in the locker room is incredible. That is reflected in the games.
– He has been in the Sestao River for a month. How has this adaptation period been?
Well, I knew several colleagues like Gorka Agirre, Unai Buján or Pepe Blanco, but they all welcomed me very well and treated me great. Being older, they are more involved in integrating me. I’m very comfortable. I was talking to a colleague today about the brutal level of training and the atmosphere there. It’s coming in handy for me because we’re all going in the same direction.
– He left Lezama on loan. Do you trust to return and have opportunities again?
I have to go back to Lezama, when the loan ends, I’m still an Athletic player. My goal is to be a footballer and, if it can be at Athletic, much better. I am from Athletic and I want to play there. I want to go back, so let’s see what happens next year.
– Last Sunday he scored his first goal for Sestao River in a very important game with a great atmosphere in Las Llanas. What feelings did he have when scoring?
The stand is incredible. I come from Basconia that our parents and some others see us and now living this is amazing. It is a great extra motivation to play in Las Llanas. In that match, he had just missed a chance and his teeth were long. I thought I had to put the next yes or yes. A striker is always looking to score and when he doesn’t, it’s like something is missing. Although you have to prioritize work and what is good for the team at all times.
– It is also his first goal in the last four months. Do you think he can give you a big confidence boost?
Yes, now I hope to continue scoring goals.
– At the moment accumulates around fifty minutes in the Sestao River. Do you hope to gain more and more prominence and even make a place for yourself in the eleven?
The goal of all players is to be important in the team. The thing is that Aitor Calle rotates a lot, he always has a game plan and we all feel important. Clearly I want to be an important part of the team, I’m going to fight to the fullest to earn their trust and make a place for myself in the eleven.
– This latest win was the team’s sixth win in a row. In a streak like this, everything comes out expensive, right?
It is what we are saying in training, that these waves must be taken advantage of. If we continue doing things as we are now and trusting in ourselves, we are going to extend this streak.
– Now they are co-leaders with Osasuna Promesas. Should the objective be to finish the season in first position to be promoted directly?
That is clear and more so now with the streak we have. We must try it now, it is the moment in which we see it most clearly. We must also be clear that when things go wrong, we have to grit our teeth and move forward together. It’s obvious that it would be nice to experience a promotion play-off, but if we can avoid it and go straight up, then much better. With the squad we have and at the level we train, we can aspire to anything.