A high hurdle is also waiting for Tatjana Maria. The Bad Saulgauerin faces the two-time Grand Slam semi-finalist Maria Sakkari from Greece in round one.
The German number two in the men, Jan-Lennard Struff, will meet the US Open quarter-finalist Botic van de Zandschulp from the Netherlands – Dominik Koepfer will face Carlos Taberner from Spain.
Oscar Otte has to deal with wildcard starter Chun-hsin Tseng from Taiwan, while Peter Gojowczyk plays against the French Benjamin Bonzi.
Becker: “Djokovic’s father checked whether I was taking care of his son”
2 HOURS AGO
An interesting lot caught veteran Philipp Kohlschreiber, who is up against the former French Open semi-finalist Marco Cecchinato from Italy.
Becker on Djokovic’s father: “overshot the target”
As things stand at the moment, only nine German professionals have made it into the main field of the first Grand Slam event of the season – six men and three women.
Djokovic before Serbian duel
Although the participation of defending champion Novak Djokovic is still open, the superstar’s first-round opponent has also been determined.
Djokovic gets – should he be allowed to compete – to do with compatriot Miomir Kecmanovic. The two Serbs first faced each other. In 2021 Djokovic defeated the current number 78 in the world in the quarter-finals in Belgrade 6-1 and 6-3.
An overview of matches with German participation:
- Alexander Zverev (Hamburg / No.3) – Daniel Altmaier (Kempen)
- Jan-Lennard Struff (Warstein) – Botic van de Zandschulp (Netherlands)
- Dominik Koepfer (Furtwangen) – Carlos Taberner (Spain)
- Oscar Otte (Cologne) – Tseng Chun Hsin (Taipei)
- Peter Gojowczyk (Munich) – Benjamin Bonzi (France)
- Philipp Kohlschreiber (Augsburg) – Marco Cecchinato (Italy)
- Angelique Kerber (Kiel / No. 16) – Kaia Kanepi (Estonia)
- Andrea Petkovic (Darmstadt) – Barbora Krejcikova (Czech Republic / No. 4)
- Tatjana Maria (Bad Saulgau) – Maria Sakkari (Greece / No. 5)
Podcast – The yellow from the ball: Becker on the Djokovic case
Becker in the Djokovic case: “You have to allow other opinions”
Becker exclusively on the Djokovic case: “Who is the bad boy?”
21 HOURS AGO
Manipulated PCR test? Experts note discrepancies in the Djokovic case
ONE DAY AGO