The Chinese tennis player has contacted Thomas Bach, executive of the International Olympic Committee, through a video call in which he said he was safe at his home in Beijing. Shuai Peng had been missing since November 2, generating a great impact in the world of sports.
After weeks of uncertainty and drama regarding the whereabouts of Shuai Peng, the good news arrives. The former world No. 1 in doubles had publicly denounced sexual abuse by a former vice prime minister of China, Gaoli Zhang, and had subsequently disappeared from the public scene, generating multiple reactions in the tennis world. The case led to protests among prominent players on the circuit, as well as from the United Nations itself.
“Today, IOC President Thomas Bach held a video call with China’s three-time Olympian Shuai Peng. At the beginning of the 30-minute call, Peng thanked the IOC for their concern for his well-being. “said the statement, which adds that she “He explained that he is safe and well, living at his home in Beijing”.
The IOC executive stressed how important privacy is for the Chinese tennis player at this time. In addition, he assured that the player does not think about retirement. “I would like your privacy to be respected at this time. She prefers to spend her time with friends and family at this time. Nevertheless, will continue to participate in tennis, the sport he loves so much”.
Along with Thomas Bach, in the video call with Shuai Peng were also Emma Terho, president of the IOC Athletes Commission; and Lingwei Li, IOC member in China. “I was relieved to see that it was okay, that it was our main concern.. It seemed to be relaxed. I offered him our support and keep in touch at any time of his convenience, which he obviously appreciated ”, Terho sentenced.