The Boston Celtics clinched their second win of the preseason, but had to do without Dennis Schröder. Shortly before the end, Isaac Bonga had the chance to force overtime, but failed with his tip-in. The Knicks set off a triple fireworks display, the Hawks beat Memphis.
Boston Celtics (2-0) – Toronto Raptors (1-2) 113:111 (BOXSCORE)
- Dennis Schröder had to pass due to a knee bruise, Jaylen Brown is currently in quarantine after a positive corona test. So Jayson Tatum had to shoulder most of the burden. The 23-year-old did just that and led Boston with 20 points, 9 rebounds and 7 assists, there were only minor blemishes in efficiency (6/15 FG and 3/10 threesomes) and ball losses (6).
- He received support from Al Horford (16), Romeo Langford (13) and Grant Williams (12). In crunchtime, Tatum was of course already off work, instead Juan Hernangomez (7 points, all in the fourth quarter) drew a foul shortly before the end and sank both free throws to take the lead. A threesome to win Dalano Banton missed, Isaac Bonga failed with a tip-in attempt that would have saved Toronto into overtime.
- The German, who is fighting for the last place in the Raptors’ squad, was only used in the final section and remained inconspicuous as a scorer in just under 7 minutes (0 points), collecting 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal. The Canadians’ best man was Fred VanVleet, who put in 22 points and 5 assists at 6/8 from downtown. OG Anunoby had 17 points, rookie Scottie Barnes put on 9 and 8 assists and 2 blocks.
Washington Wizards (0-2) – New York Knicks (2-0) 99:117 (BOXSCORE)
- Rain of three in Washington, but only for one team. The guests from New York shot out all the lights from a distance, while the wizards produced an impressive collection of bricks. After 18 points and 4 threesomes from RJ Barrett, New York took their second win in their second preseason game.
- Overall, the Knicks sank 24 of their 52 attempts from a distance (46.2 percent), the three-way quota of the Wizards? Disastrous 16.1 percent, only 5 of the 31 three-pointers ended up in the basket. Especially in the third quarter, the home side, where Montrezl Harrell was the top scorer (18 and 10 rebounds), hardly anything came together. The round went to New York with 36:21, which was decisive.
- In addition to Barrett, Derrick Rose (15 and 8 assists in 3/3 threesomes), Obi Toppin (13 and 8 rebounds), Kevin Knox (12 in 4/6 threesomes) and Immanuel Quickley (11). Bradley Beal was on the court on the other side for 25 minutes, but only pocketed 5 of his 13 attempts for 14 points. Spencer Dinwiddie added 13 points, Daniel Gafford got 7 points and 4 blocks.
Memphis Grizzlies (2-1) – Atlanta Hawks (1-2) 87:91 (BOXSCORE)
- After Trae Young was injured in the first preseason game, the point guard was unable to play against Memphis due to problems with the quadriceps. But John Collins (16 and 12 rebounds), Bogdan Bogdanovic (16 and 5 assists) and Danilo Gallinari (11 and 10 rebounds) made a good match and Atlanta celebrated its first victory in preparation.
- A good four minutes before the end, the game was still balanced, then Sharife Cooper (10, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 steals) and Jahlil Okafor (4) brought the Hawks onto the road to victory. The starters had already finished work by then, Memphis only competed with one B-Team anyway. Ja Morant and Steven Adams, among others, were given a break.
- Desmond Bane became the best man among the hosts, behind his 18 points there were good odds of 7/13 from the field and 4/8 threesomes. Brandon Clarke and rookie Santi Aldama each scored 16 points. For number 10 pick Ziaire Williams, on the other hand, it was a used day, he only hit 2 of his 13 attempts (0/5 threesome) for 6 points.