DFB bans professional for eight weeks because of racism
Dennis Erdmann emphasizes that he is not a type who “distinguishes between skin colors”. The DFB sports court sees it differently and punishes the third division footballer harshly for racist remarks. Erdmanns Club announces appointment.
IA verdict has been reached on the most recent racism scandal in German football. And it’s tough. The sports court of the German Football Association banned Dennis Erdmann, a professional at 1. FC Saarbrücken, for a total of eight weeks because of racist statements in the third division game against Magdeburg. The 30-year-old defender has already played two games.
In addition, according to the ruling on Monday in Frankfurt, he has to pay a fine of 3,000 euros. A spokesman for his association announced that he would appeal. At the same time, the club wants to have the ban lifted until a hearing before the DFB Federal Court.
“As a result of the taking of evidence, the sports court is convinced that the player made the following remarks in the direction of the Magdeburg professional Sirlord Condé: He should paddle home with his parents,” said the deputy chairman of the sports court, Stephan Oberholz. He also insulted him at least once with the N word.
Erdmann denies allegations
In addition to Condé, his Magdeburg teammates Baris Atik, Sirlord Conteh and Leon Bell Bell also confirmed the allegations against Erdmann on the first day of the trial. In contrast, the Saarbrücken players Adriano Grimaldi, Alexander Groiß and Luca Kerber, who had been invited as witnesses, as well as captain Manuel Zeitz, who was on the phone because of an illness, said that they had not heard any racist remarks from Erdmann during the game on August 25th.
According to Oberholz, these statements could not have cast doubt on the Magdeburg players, although Atik’s would have left great doubts. “He wasn’t the most credible under the sun,” said Oberholz. But that of the main witness, Conté, was very credible.
Erdmann rejected the allegations again on the second day of the trial. “It wasn’t an easy week and a half. It is still not easy for me to go to bed in the evening, “he said and assured the sports court:” You saw that I am not a type who differentiates between skin colors. “
Shortly after the accusations of racism arose, 1. FC Saarbrücken decidedly rejected them as “unproven” and emphasized that there was no place for racism in our ranks. “In view of this factual situation, the unilaterally raised and unproven allegations from Magdeburg players lack any reliable basis,” it said in a message.
Fred Kreitlow, as a representative of the DFB control committee, found the allegations against Erdmann to be “essentially correct” in his plea. Conté stated that the insults went far beyond the trash talk among players. “He heard the N-word from Erdmann several times,” said Kreitlow.
Erdmann receives insults
The accused player’s lawyer, Horst Klettke, saw what he believed to be imprecise statements made by the Saarbrücken players about the allegations as insufficient for such a severe punishment. “Dennis Erdmann got involved and definitely said that he hadn’t made these statements,” said the lawyer.
“He made it clear that this is not his world at all.” Since the allegations that were initially made public via the media, the player and his family have received around “1500 worst abuse and threats”, according to Klettke. He had demanded an acquittal and considers the conviction “not well founded”.