Former Brazilian football star Ronaldinho, detained in Paraguay for more than five months for using false official documents, has been released, the judge in charge of the case announced on Monday.
The magistrate, Gustavo Amarilla, also granted the release of the brother of the ex-Brazilian player, Roberto de Assis Moreira. The two men had been in detention since March 6 in connection with this case.
Ronaldo de Assis Moreira, says Ronaldinho, “is free to travel to any country in the world that he (he) pleases, but he will have to make known if he changes his permanent address” for a period of one year, said the magistrate during the hearing. The latter, which began at 2 p.m. local (8 p.m. in Paris), lasted three hours and was broadcast live on television.
“From now on, the measure of deprivation of liberty is lifted. (Ronaldinho) is not subject to any restriction, except that of compensation for damage to society, ”added the magistrate.
A fine of $ 90,000
Wearing a black beret, wearing a shirt of the same color and jeans, the former player told the judge to “accept” the prosecution’s proposal for a “conditional suspension of the proceedings” since the sanction envisaged does not exceed two years. The public prosecutor demanded payment by Ronaldinho of a fine of 90,000 dollars for “damage to society”.
After being detained in a police station in Asuncion, where the Ballon d’Or 2005 celebrated its 40th birthday on March 21, the two brothers had been under house arrest for almost five months in a luxury hotel in the capital, against the deposit. bond of $ 1.6 million.
Coming in particular to promote a book, they are accused of having entered Paraguay in possession of forged passports. Some 18 people have already been arrested in connection with the case, most of them immigration officials or police.
Defense sources have indicated that Ronaldinho and Roberto will travel to Brazil on a private flight as soon as possible, once the corresponding clearances have been obtained.