The Canucks were laid off
Chuck Chiang, Vancouver store – July 29, 2020 / 4:07 p.m. | History: 306577
According to media reports, Canucks Sports & Entertainment reportedly fired up to a quarter of its employees in the division on Wednesday.
Tweets from TSN reporter Farhan Lalji said Canucks Sports & Entertainment fired 50 of its 200 Business Ops employees, and other company members were told that more jobs could be cut if the team can’t return to fans in the Rogers Arena to lure the normal operational business model.
The Canucks did not respond to requests for comments this afternoon at 3:42 p.m.
There has been speculation about the economic impact of the COVID 19 outbreak on professional sports teams, particularly NHL teams like the Canucks, which are more dependent on ticket sales and gate revenue than leagues with large TV contracts like NFL, MLB and NBA.
Some analysts have even dared to say that some small league sports – which depend solely on fan participation to increase sales – may have the prospect of a number of teams collapsing as they move to their facilities in the coming Months not open to paying fans again. Minor League Baseball’s Vancouver Canadians said they would have to fire two full-time employees after the entire 2020 season was canceled.
The CFL, meanwhile, remains in limbo as it charges Ottawa $ 42.5 million to save the coming season – which won’t start until September at the earliest, probably in a hub like Winnipeg. Ottawa has announced that the CFL wants to settle its collective bargaining with the CFL Players’ Association before funding is considered.
The NHL previously announced it would forecast a $ 1.1 billion revenue loss as COVID-19 stopped participating in live sports and brought the 2019-2020 season to a standstill. Athletic senior Canucks author Thomas Drance said that financial relief is probably one of the main reasons the league has decided to restart the season on August 1st at the Edmonton and Toronto hubs.
The Vancouver Canucks will play their first and only exhibition game against the Winnipeg Jets in Edmonton on Wednesday evening.
Vancouver was at one point in the lead in landing one of the two Hub City roles in the NHL season relaunch, and there was some speculation as to whether winning the offer would have given the Canucks a financial boost to ward off some layoffs .
The offer was declined when BC provincial health officials disagreed with the NHL’s protocols to deal with potential COVID 19 outbreaks within the players’ “bubble” during the season relaunch. Provincial health officer Bonnie Henry continues to stress that gatherings of 50 or more people are not allowed in BC, and adds that she does not expect major gatherings to take place before the end of 2020.
The next NHL season is currently set to start in December.