MEMPHIS, Tennessee – After months of silence since the Premier Golf League, the branch circuit resurfaced last week with a report in The Guardian that several top players had received official offer letters to join the PGL.
Phil Mickelson, Adam Scott, Henrik Stenson, Brooks Koepka, Justin Rose and Rickie Fowler are among those who have been linked to the escape tour which reportedly offered millions of guaranteed money and a new team concept.
Although one of the best players who was mentioned as a possible convert to PGL said last week that he had not received any offers from the league, Wednesday at the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational Stenson he did not reject the idea.
WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational: all-round tee time | Full coverage
“We have seen some of the things in the press and, yes, I know a little what’s going on behind the scenes and I’m following it closely, like many other people,” said Stenson, who is making his first start since the pandemic stopped the game in March. “Yes, we will see what will happen in the future, really.”
As for whether he had received a formal letter, the Swede was shy: “Well. . . “He said with a smile.
In March, PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan appeared to calm the growing PGL drumbeat when the circuit unveiled its new media rights agreements, which resulted in substantial increases over previous agreements.
“I think it’s flattering when any entity is watching what’s going on in the PGA Tour and they see growth, they see momentum, they see an expanded reach to a wider fan base nationally and internationally, and it is not surprising that someone is coming. try to get a piece. That’s the nature of the business, “said Monahan on March 10th.
Two days later, the Tour suspended its program until early June due to COVID-19.