I make it a goal in life not to overheat on the lists. Rankings are subjective, and rankings that rank – like me, Mr. Schein Nine! – simply express their personal opinions. No reason to blow a joint completely on someone else’s sockets.
That said, there are exceptions to every rule. And in the wake of NFL Network Top 100 players of 2020 – the annual exercise where the league players rank themselves – my blood pressure is rising.
Carson Wentz’s total omission from the list is inexcusable. Guy is a real star – it makes no sense not to rank him among the top 100 players in the NFL. And Quenton Nelson is way too low at No. 29. But the biggest insult of all came on Wednesday night when the top 10 was revealed.
NFL players ranked three players ahead of Patrick Mahomes. THREE!
There is steam coming out of my ears!
Fortunately, I have an annual outlet for catharsis on this front. Every year, my editors ask me to take the top 10 players … and re-rank them!
So, just to review, here’s what the players came up with:
ten) Derrick Henry, RB, Tennessee Titans
9) Stephon Gilmore, CB, New England Patriots
8) DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Arizona Cardinals
7) George Kittle, TE, San Francisco 49ers
6) Christian McCaffrey, RB, Carolina Panthers
5) Michael Thomas, WR, Saints of New Orleans
4) Patrick Mahomes, QB, Kansas City Chiefs
3) Aaron Donald, DT, Los Angeles Rams
2) Russell Wilson, QB, Seattle Seahawks
1) Lamar Jackson, QB, Baltimore Ravens
Weft. Don’t worry, I’m here to correct the record! Let me take these 10 names and place them in the correct order. You’re welcome.