Bernard Tomic has had some rather low knockdowns in his tennis career and it is difficult to find a defense for him after a particularly sad moment during his most recent defeat.
The Australian star, once in 17th place in the world but now 197th, lost to Ernests Gulbis in just 53 minutes during qualifying for Monday’s Delray Beach Open (AEDT).
Incredibly, Tomic only won three points in the second set of his 6-2 6-0 trap and between the horror shows there was a moment that revealed how truly disinterested he became.
Gulbis was already 2-0 ahead in the second set when he had three break points on Tomic’s serve before a throwing throw with his right hand was out. It was a slightly delayed “out” call and Tomic had already scored and dropped a slice of backhand on the net that landed.
Gulbis did not attempt to recover Tomic’s ball, instead he quarreled with the referee where his shot was – and the official agreed.
If the shot in question had been a winner, Gulbis would have won the game. But since Tomic returned it, the point should have been repeated.
However, rather than forcing Gulbis to return another service and earn his break, Tomic gave him the point.
The referee called the game for Gulbis, giving him a 3-0 lead, while Tomic didn’t even bother to replay the point, instead he seems to suggest to the referee that he was happy to let his opponent take advantage of it for 3-0.
If, perhaps, there had been a misunderstanding and the referee had accidentally assigned the game to Gulbis, forgetting the point to actually repeat, Tomic could have put him back on track.
But he didn’t.
Instead, the 27-year-old has just returned to his place for the change of finish, without worrying at all about Gulbis, who had won a point where he didn’t deserve it.
If he was not aware of the rules, highlight the absence of professionalism or concentration, depending on what you prefer.
CHECK THE ACCIDENT IN THE VIDEO PLAYER ABOVE
Surprisingly, despite his humiliating defeat, Tomic will still be one of the four Australians in the main draw at Delray Beach after being attracted as the lucky loser to replace Tennys Sandgren, who retired due to knee pain.
Queenslander will face Cedrik-Marcel Stebe in Wednesday’s first round at 3 AEDT with the winner taking on second-generation Canadian Milos Raonic or Italian veteran Andreas Seppi, the finalist defeated at Sunday’s New York Open.
Tomic’s rapid-fire loss against Gulbis is still the second longest of his last five games. He suffered the second fastest defeat of his career last week in New York, falling to Go Goeda 6-2 6-1 in Japan in just 39 minutes. He also lost to 306 Brandon Nakashima in just 44 minutes in Dallas earlier this month.
RELATED: Laughable Twist After Tomic Tank Work
RELATED: “Awesome Wildy” Kim Makes His Return
The shortest game in Tomic’s career is his 28-minute effort to lose 6-0 6-1 against Jarkko Nieminen in 2014.
Once considered one of Australia’s brightest talents, Tomic previously said that he doesn’t care about tennis and is more interested in money. After bombarding the qualifications for the Australian Open 2018, he said he would go home to “count my millions”, while after losing to Madrid in 2017 he said: “It would matter to you if I was 23 years old and worth more than $ 10 million ? “
Tomic was slapped with a $ 81,000 fine after capitulating 6-2 6-1 6-4 in just 58 minutes against Jo Wilfried-Tsonga in his opening game at Wimbledon last year – the second shortest men’s single The record breaking All England Club started in 2002.