The former Spanish midfielder returned to the reasons that led him to refuse FC Barcelona.
Xavi at the head of Barça? It’s no. Not yet. Despite requests from the Catalan club to take over from Ernesto Valverde, who was sacked earlier this week, the former Spanish international (39) and current coach of Al Sadd, in Qatar, said no. The reason ? “It’s too early,” he said at a press conference, confirming the negotiations of the past few days. Éric Abidal and Oscar Grau came to see him in Doha, trying to convince him … In vain. “But don’t doubt that it’s my dream in the future to train Barça,” said the former world champion, double European champion and four-time winner of the Champions League. And Xavi added, regarding the new Barcelona coach: “I love Quique Setien, his way of working, and I hope he will succeed in Barcelona.”
” READ ALSO – First and collect: Valverde is (really) no exception
FC Barcelona president Josep Bartomeu also returned to the subject in the columns of SPORT : “Clearly, Xavi will be the Barça coach one day, I have no doubt about that. He has the ability, he understands our football perfectly, he wants to and one day he will. But now it’s Quique Setien, and I think, I hope, everything will be fine because he arrives motivated and that he said he wanted to follow our philosophy and our style of play. ”First test Sunday, against Granada (21h). For Xavi, we will have to wait. His contract in Qatar runs until June 2020. That of Quique Setien, formerly stationed at Betis Seville, until 2021. At the same time as the next elections for the presidency of FC Barcelona. Xavi is said to be close to candidate Victor Font.