July 14th vibrates blue, white and red. But this Sunday, a part of yellow will interfere in the national holiday. Julian Alaphilippe, leader of the Tour de France, will wear the famous tunic on July 14, 2019 and joins the circle of Tricolores wearing the yellow jersey on this special day.
22. The runner of the Deceuninck-Quick Step becomes the 22nd Frenchman to wear the golden fleece on July 14th. Other notable names of the tricolor cycling have done before: Bernard Hinault (3 times), Bernard Thevenet, Thomas Voeckler (2), Louison Bobet or André Leducq (3).
33. It will also be the 33rd time that a Frenchman participates in the stage of July 14 with the yellow jersey on the shoulders.
96. It is necessary to go back 96 years to find the first Tricolore with the yellow one 14 of July. It was Henri Pélissier in 1923. He even won the Tour that year.
5. Julian Alaphilippe makes double blow on this Tour. After five years without French leader of the Tour, he put an end to this scarcity. And just like Tony Gallopin in 2014, the last French yellow jersey before him, he will wear the tunic on the national holiday.
5. Jacques Anquetil is the record holder of the number of national holidays in yellow: five times (1957, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964). These are also the dates of his five victories on the competition.
3. In the 1960s, the Tour de France often ended on July 14th. Three times, a Frenchman was in yellow during the last stage, on the Champs-Elysees and national holiday: Anquetil in 1963 and 1964 and Lucien Aimar 1966.