Manchester United has been startled by reports that one of his back room staff had to be taken to hospital after a suspected overdose on the eve of their long-awaited match with Perth Glory tonight.
The male club staff of the Red Devils was transferred to the Royal Perth Hospital this afternoon under heavy surveillance after the incident at Crown Towers.
He was in a stable state tonight.
There is no suggestion that the overdose was caused by an unauthorized substance.
It is not known whether the medical emergency was caused by an accidental overdose of a prescribed medication or by an existing medical condition.
It is believed that the man is in his fifties.
Players and staff have stayed at Crown Towers on Monday since their arrival in WA.
The employee could be seen in the hospital by ambulance on Friday at 3 p.m.
The vision of 7NEWS showed that a number of hospital security staff hung clear yellow screens to hide the identity of the man.
His face was invisible when he was transported to the emergency department of the hospital just a few meters from the ambulance.
The man could be seen riding on a stretcher and covered with a white blanket.
The ambulance arrived without lights and sirens.
The identity of the man was unknown, but he is not one of the 28 players.
A Manchester United spokeswoman confirmed that a member of the traveling group had been sent to the hospital.
The club was asked by The West Australian to confirm whether there was an overdose, but it did not respond.
"A member of our back room staff fell ill at night and was sent to the hospital by our club doctor for further treatment," said Karen Shotbolt, head of soccer communication at Manchester United in a statement.
"We ask that medical confidentiality be respected."