PARIS (Reuters) – Factbox on Australia's Ashleigh Barty, who beat Czech Republic's Marketa Vondrousova 6-1 6-3 in the French Open Final Saturday:
Tennis – French Open – Roland Garros, Paris, France – June 8, 2019. Australia's Ashleigh Barty celebrates with the trophy after winning the final against Marketa Vondrousova in the Czech Republic. REUTERS / Benoit Tessier
Born: April 24, 1996 in Ipswich, Australia (23 years)
Grand Slam titles: 1 (French Open 2019)
Started playing tennis in the age of five when parents Robert and Josie introduced her to the sport.
CAREER FOR DATE
* After starting her career at the ITF circuit in Australia in 2010, she played her first WTA qualification event in the US Open the following year.
* Declared four singles titles and two double titles on the ITF circuit in 2012.
* Won a WTA doubles title and reached three Grand Slam doubles with Casey Dellacqua in 2013 (Australian Open, Wimbledon, U.S. Open). Captured two ITF double titles.
* After winning another WTA title in 2014, she took a break from tennis after the US Open and had a successful stint in the Brisbane Heat Cricket team in the Women's Big Bash League before returning in 2016.
* Bumped into the top 20 in 2017 and beat his first WTA single title on Kuala Lumpur as a qualifier. She reached two additional singles finals in Birmingham and Wuhan before becoming Australia's number one player.
* Won her second and third WTA singles titles in Nottingham and Zhuhai to finish 2018 ranked 15th in the world. Claimed four more double titles.
* Sealed her first title in 2019 in Miami in March, before opening her maiden Grand Slam in French.
Reporting of Shrivathsa Sridhar in Bengaluru, editing of Ed Osmond
(t) TREASURES (T) TENNIS (t) FRENCHOPEN (t) FACTBOX (t) Fact bases (t) Western Europe (t) Content produced in Bangalore (t) France (t) Central and Eastern Europe Sports) Asia / Pacific (t) Australia (t) Eastern European countries (t) Tennis (t) Czech Republic (t) Europe (t) New markets